Thursday, June 30, 2011

5 Minutes With Richard Haines of What I Saw Today





Richard Haines is the fashion illustrator behind the fantastic 'What I Saw Today', blog where he chronicles 'cool stuff guys wear'.

Q1. What was the first record you bought and what effect did it have on you?

'Satisfaction'-Rolling Stones, and it still has an effect on me. I remember the heady feeling of sliding it out of the slick, glossy 45 cover, punching the little spindle thing in it, and putting it on my record player. I was instantly transported to Carnaby Street...that kind of sexul preening was completely new at the time!

Q2. What's the best ‘fashion moment’ you’ve ever experienced?

I seriously have them every day. I always see something in NYC that gives me a moment. My first real one was meeting Twiggy (and having her autograph a sketch I did of her) at the British Embassy circa 1967. That was a moment. I was speechless. people gave me a lot of shit about it at school the next day though...

Q3. Where did you find inspiration for your illustrations?

Wow. Everywhere. The first time I saw a fashion illustration was looking at the New York Times couture report when I was around 11. I was dumbstruck at how a person could capture so much attitude in a few lines. And of course I love the fact that decades later I just went to Pitti Uomo for the New York Times. it's an amazing full circle.

In a more contemporary context, I love watching people, the way they stand, dress, the signals they send to each other. that's what i love to capture-the fashion is icing. and of course i ususally see the best people watching in brooklyn!

Q4. Where do you find the best street style ?

Right now I'm really inspired my 'Morgantown'-that strip of a couple of blocks off the Morgan stop. It's serious art boy style-right up my alley. It's about a 5 minute bike ride from my place so I bike over, have a coffee, people watch, then head into the city to do what ever I need to do.

Q5. Please finish this sentence: rapid information exchange via the Internet means that...

...I couldn't have started my blog, which means I wouldn't be here answering these questions. On the other hand, it means there's a lot more bullshit flying around.

http://designerman-whatisawtoday.blogspot.com/



Rolling Stones - 'Satisfaction'

No comments:

Post a Comment