Thursday, June 9, 2011
Pop Pickers Top Ten: Johnny Dynell
Photo by Matthew Mendenhall
JOHNNY DYNELL is the New York City DJ, producer, songwriter, remixer and impresario who has been practicing his art and craft for over two decades. His DJ style is infectious and inclusive, and he is a long-time favorite of New York's art and fashion crowds as well as Club Kids. He is equally at home at a black tie gala or the most underground nightclub, and brings to both an impressive knowledge of diverse musical genres.
Dynell has spun the soundtrack at thousands of enchanted evenings both at home and abroad over the years. His NYC club residencies have included The Mudd Club, Danceteria, Area, BoyBar, Susanne Bartsch parties, The Tunnel, Jackie 60, Crobar Mr. Black and Vandam.
Here's Johnny's Top Ten:
"It's a crazy list I know but these are the ones that are on heavy rotation on my iPod".
1) Smells like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
2) I Can't Stand The Rain - Ann Peebles
3) Don't Leave Me This Way - Harold Melvin & The Blue Notes feat. Teddy Pendergrass
4) Love Is The Message - M.F.S.B.
5) As -Stevie Wonder
6) Soweto - Malcolm McLaren
7) Sex Machine - James Brown
8)The Tide Is High - Blondie
9) Move On Up A Little Higher - Mahalia Jackson
10) I Don't Know Why I Love You - Michael Jackson