Monday, July 18, 2011

5 Minutes With Rudy Miles


Rudy Miles is a leading makeup artist in the beauty and fashion industries, working with some of the world's most significant fashion designers and celebrities. As makeup team leader at New York's fashion week, Rudy has created looks for designers Ellen Tracy, Perry Ellis, Oscar de la Renta, Reem Acra and EDUN. Rudy and his team have also created looks for the Valentino and Dolce & Gabbana boutiques.

Q1. What was the first record that you bought and how did it change your life?

Rudy Miles: I can't even remember the first record I ever bought but I definitely remember how Janet Jackson's album CONTROL changed my life. I was at the point in my life where I was ready to break free from my parents, discover and explore who I was and just be on my own. I think my parents wanted me to move out not because they didn't want me living there anymore as much as because they wanted me to stop playing that song!

Q2. How did you get into the Beauty business?

RM: The fashion side of the beauty business I got introduced to as I was pursuing a modeling career in Chicago which is where I'm from originally. I believe backstage at shows is where I began to learn makeup by watching makeup artists work.

I got into the hair side of beauty business as a manager for a hair salon. The salon was called PRIVATE and the owner took no walk in clients; referrals only and was booked months ahead of time. I think back to those days of ordering products, booking appointments and creating promotions for the salon and realize it was the beginning.

Q3. How has the online world transformed the world of beauty?

RM: The online world has transformed the world of beauty because now beauty is completely accessible to everyone. Products recommendations and easy how-to techniques can be found everywhere. Everyone can blog and be a makeup artist as well. But more than that the new wave of consumers, prosumers, are more than willing to try professional techniques and looks that may have intimidated them in the past. The best part is it forces the pros to be at the top of their game, relatively speaking.

Q4. Do you have one look that you are particularly proud of creating in your career so far?

RM: I am very proud of the two-toned glossy/glitter lip that I created that was shot by photographer Jon Compson. I love it because it was my first attempt EVER at an editorial/graphic image and the first time I was pushed at a photo shoot. It was during a time that I worked a lot with hair stylist Peter Gray, who is amazing.

Q5. You've worked with many celebrities including Susan Sarandon, Chaka Khan and Karen Alexander. Can you share a funny story regarding a job that you've done or a celebrity that you've worked with?

RM: Working with Camila Alves and Matthew McConaughey great. Camila and I worked together at a photo shoot before she and Matthew were together. The shoot ran really late night and someone at the shoot suggested that I give her a foot rub to keep her energy and spirit up. At first I was like, "No Way!" to myself. Then I did it because she was so amazing the entire time. Little did I know it would lead to being able to do her makeup and Matthew's grooming while they were in New York for the launch of Matthew as the Dolce & Gabbana ONE fragrance spokesman. The lesson learned was huge; it pays to be a team player.



http://www.rudymiles.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment