Thursday, July 14, 2011

5 Minutes With Ryan Martin of Dais Records


Ryan Martin is an American self-taught artist/musician who currently resides in Brooklyn, NY. Co-founder of avant-garde record label, Dais Records, as well as one half of limited hideaway Period Tapes and has recently started the curation of left field imprint, Robert & Leopold. Martin is a member of experimental electronic project, DeTrop, as well as the post-industrial noise performance group York Factory Complaint as well as various solo musical projects collected under numerous monikers. Ryan Martin's artwork has been exhibited in various group shows over the past couple years with new works in progress.

Dais was founded in August of 2007 by Ryan Martin and Gibby Miller. The label is operated bi-coastally, with Gibby in LA and Ryan in NYC. Dais Records seeks out and re-release lost, rare, and forgotten material, as well as releasing bold new sounds that inspire them including the legendary and never before heard 1968 recordings of Genesis Breyer P-Orridge and friends, transfered and mastered from the original tape from the Porridge With Everything Archives. Recorded in a roofspace attic during the summer of 1968 by Genesis Breyer P-Orridge and friends, and later pressed to a single acetate in 1969, this recording is probably the most documented (yet never heard) missing piece of musical history in the legacy of Coum Transmissions, Throbbing Gristle, and Psychic TV.


Q1. What was the first record you bought that changed your life?

Ryan Martin: First record I bought isn't even a record, its a tape compilation that I bought for 2 dollars from a childhood friend named Greg Lance (who I haven't seen in 20 years) who had a extra to pawn off. It was one of those Skate Rock compilation tapes that Thrasher Magazine used to sell and was my first brush with music that wasn't off the radio...had great bands like JFA, Drunk Injuns, Los Olvidados, McRad, all sorts of crazy punk jams. Totally blew my mind that you could get away with making music like this. Never realized how much it had an effect on me until many years later, was probably the single piece of collected music that got me on the course I am on today. Wish I still had my copy.

Q2. When did you start Dais Records and who or what influenced you to do that?

RM: I am just the co-founder of Dais Records, I started it alongside my best friend Gibby Miller roughly 4 years ago as a bi-coastal label (myself in NYC and Gibby in Los Angeles). I would say both of us were influenced by our music pasts and love for all that is counter-culture. We both wanted to put out records we felt were neglected and wanted to own ourselves as listeners and as fans.

Q3. What's the best ‘music moment’ you’ve ever experienced?

RM: Every time I ever got to see Lungfish play live ...nothing will beat those experiences.

Q4. Please finish this sentence: rapid information exchange via the Internet means that...

RM: ...people have become comfortable with being boring and lazy.

Q5. Give us a really off the wall anecdote/story. Something that not many people will know about-could be about anything related to your work.

RM: Most of my friends have heard this story, but when I was around 8-9 years old, I did what ever young man does at that age and sent away to join the Iron Maiden Fan Club. This required me to send in a couple dollars in which I would get a membership card, badge and a cool newsletter with all news Maiden related. Sadly, I never got my membership package and held the grudge that I was ripped off by their fan club (I still bought all their albums going forward though). Never received a single acknowledgement of my pledged allegiance to Maiden. Flash forward 10 years...and I am in college. My mother calls me up to tell me I got a package at her house that I need to pick up. Since I moved out a few years prior, I was a bit confused who sent something to my parents house. Low and behold, it was from the Iron Maiden fan club and it was a Christmas tree ornament given out to all the members(though 10 years after the fact) and was the one and only thing I even got from the Iron Maiden Fan Club.....my mother still puts that ornament on the Christmas tree every year.

http://www.daisrecords.com/site/



Iron Maiden - Number Of The Beast

No comments:

Post a Comment