Wednesday, July 6, 2011

5 Minutes With a SuicideGirl

Photo: Missy Suicide.


SuicideGirls was started as a two person operation out of a loft in downtown Portland, OR in 2001 with the belief that creativity, personality and intelligence are not incompatible with sexy, compelling entertainment, and millions of people agree. The site mixes the smarts, enthusiasm and DIY attitude of the best music and alternative culture sites with an unapologetic, grassroots approach to sexuality.

Co-founder Selena Mooney (Missy Suicide) tells us about getting recipes for cupcakes from girls in Colombia and meeting fellow Elvis Costello fans, all because of SuicideGirls.


Guns N' Roses - "Welcome To The Jungle".

Q1. Music is a big part of the SG identity-what was the first record you bought and what effect did it have on you?
I bought the cass-singles for "Like A Virgin" and "Welcome to the Jungle" on my 8th birthday. As far as effect, I will let you infer what you like from that.

Q2. Where did you find the inspiration to create SuicideGirls?

I was inspired to start SuicideGirls by all of the amazing women that I knew in Portland. They were so strong and beautiful and confident but I didn't see images of women that look like them portrayed anywhere in the media. I wanted to shoot them in a way that would show off their beauty and destination where their voice can be heard.



Q3. What's the best ‘SuicideGirls moment’ you’ve ever experienced?

It's been really great to have the opportunity to meet girls who share my interest all around the world. I never thought I'd meet another girl who's as big a fan of Elvis Costello as I am or get recipes for cupcakes from girls in Colombia. I've also had some amazing opportunities such as starring in CSI: NY and posing for a Peta ad campaign. These have all been wonderful SuicideGirls Moments.

Q4. Do you think that SuicideGirls is as controversial as it was a decade ago given that body adornment and subcultures like burlesque are now considered to be more mainstream?

I believe that women with tattoos and piercings, women of all body types are being accepted in the main stream but I think there's still a long way to go before they're considered beautiful.

Q5. Do you feel that the SuicideGirls could only be possible in the age of online communities?

SuicideGirls was started in 2001 tapping into the social nature of the internet prior to the online community phenomenons like Friendster, Myspace and Facebook. I think that without the social nature of the internet that SuicideGirls would not be possible and we're glad to see that online communities are prospering. I truly believe that social connectivity is the most exciting thing about the internet.

If you are a fan of SuicideGirls you may also want to check the work of Richard Kern:

http://rebelrebelantistyle.blogspot.com/2011/07/5-minutes-with-richard-kern.html

1 comment:

  1. I have several girlfriends I am going to send to this site if they are not already on here,I don't know how to do a search. Catch me FB or Twitter Jet Tramel. cheers!

    ReplyDelete