Saturday, January 28, 2012

5 Minutes With Jayne County


Jayne County has been an influence on musicians such as David Bowie, The Ramones, Patti Smith, and Lou Reed. Pianist Jools Holland's first studio outing was with County on her single "Fuck Off". She is known for her outrageous stage antics and her songs "Are You Man Enough To Be A Woman", "Fuck Off", "Stuck On You," and "Night Time". County was previously an actress at Andy Warhol's The Factory.



Q1. What was the first record you owned that really inspired you?
JC: I think as I remember correctly, the first record I owned was 'Mashed Potato Time' by Dee Dee Sharp. I was crazy about her! Bought every single she put out.


Q2. Can you tell me a little about your amazing artwork? It seems to have an East Indian influence and is very confrontational.
JC: I call some of my art work 'Psychedelic Expressionism. I also like to refer to it as. 'Degenerate Art' cause thats what the Nazis labeled all modern art during the Weimar Republic, which is my favorite period.


Jayne County - New York Underground.



Q3. You’ve always had a strong following in Europe. Why do you think Europeans love your performances so much?
JC: Europeans are more generally open minded, I think. And they are always interested in anything out of NYC!

Q4. Do you think that you get credit for the other artists and performers that you have influenced? Although you credit Jackie Curtis as an influence on you, there are certainly a good few around who have benefited from your barrier breaking too.
JC: I never get any credit and it really bothers me. I'm trying very hard not to let it make me bitter, but it 's very difficult!


Q5. You’ve performed in a lot of films either as a character or as yourself. Have you ever been approached to have a movie made about your life?
JC: Nick Abraham is doing a documentary on my life, and we are of course hoping for a 'real movie!'



http://www.jaynecounty.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment