Thursday, June 2, 2011

Five Minutes with...Andrew Buckler


Buckler is a menswear line which melds the roguish American icon with a Brit edge. Designer Andrew Buckler disregards the universal monotony which plagues menswear, evading uniformity by superimposing eccentric undertones with classic silhouettes.

Launched in 2001, Buckler has stayed true to its original aesthetic conception: English Bloke meets New York. The designs are tailored, versatile, masculine and sexy, brought to life with quality textiles from the U.S. and Italy. Buckler sells throughout the US, Canada & UK. On April 12th, 2005 Andrew made New York’s Meatpacking District the subterranean home for his first flagship store.

Pictured is Andrew with goth god Pete Murphy of Bauhaus.

Q1. What was the first record you bought and what effect did it have on you?

A. `The Crunch` by the Rah Band… late 70s.. It was the beginnings of something modern and different so by the time New Order released `Blue Monday` (another early purchase) it confirmed a love for this Technological sound it was the Future!

Q2. How did you get into fashion design?

A. Realization: being on the skinny side clothes never fit me, so as a young teenager I had to re-work clothing to make it fit… then I started adding details to the garments while I was adjusting them, I even charged kids at school adjustment fees to do their gear. By the time I got my Artistic qualifications and had to make a decision to do a BA, Fashion Design seemed the way to go… It brought together all the creative, design and engineering elements I loved.

Q3.When and why did you move to New York?

A. 1999 I had always wanted to come to New York and got a great opportunity that paid for my Visa and Accommodation, I wasn’t sure how long I'd stay, Now NYC is my home.

Q4. Where do you find inspiration for your collections?

A. Each season I research what's going on in the world from New Exhibits Music Artist… what books people are reading.. What people are wearing on the street and it comes together as a direction so I can create a story or theme.

Q5. Do you think that rapid information exchange via the Internet means that youth culture can't develop away from the public eye anymore?

A. I actually think they can quickly develop stronger beliefs and ideals, like music tastes, style, culture in private behind closed doors without the pressure. They know exactly what they like and probably found others who like what they like on a world wide scale rather then just the influence of piers in the neighborhood or at school/college. They just need some fame training when that `15mins` comes along its on a grander scale.

The Buckler fall collection coming in stores this Aug, is called Anonymous Art and is inspired by street art. Formally known as graffiti and its artists like Bansky. Available at Buckler stores, Atrium, Life Curated in NY and on line www.andrewbuckler.com

No comments:

Post a Comment